Volunteers needed to spend time in the cells
By Sarah Wood | 10th March 2020
Gloucestershire's Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner is appealing for volunteers to become independent custody visitors (ICVs).
The role offers the chance for to check on the welfare of detainees during their time in Gloucestershire's custody suites.
ICVs are volunteers who carry out unannounced visits to custody suites in the county. The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) provides full training, support and mentors to new volunteers involved in the scheme.
Martin Surl, Gloucestershire PCC, said: "Independent custody volunteers (ICVs) are crucial to the welfare of prisoners and help me in my role of holding the Constabulary to account.
"The role has the potential to be a fantastic opportunity for those who have a related interest, such as criminology or public service students, as it gives hands-on experience and can add great value to a CV."
ICV responsibilities include:
- Carrying out visits to the custody unit in Quedgeley
- Checking on detainee conditions: health, wellbeing, legal rights and entitlement
- Bringing to the attention of the custody officer any concerns/ requests arising from the visit and any issues that need to be dealt with
- Contributing towards improving how the scheme is delivered
- Applications to become ICVs have just reopened in Gloucestershire and the deadline for applications is 31st March.
To become a visitor you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Must be over 18
- Have a good understanding of the English language
- Happy to work as a volunteer, only receiving out-of-pocket expenses related to the role
- Must not be Justices of the Peace (JPs), serving police officers or civilian employees; members of staff from OPCCs or special constables
- Applications are checked for any other conflicts of interest for people working in other areas of the criminal justice system, such as solicitors or probation service
Applicants are asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org to register their interest.
You can find out more about the scheme here: https://www.gloucestershire-pcc.gov.uk/gloucestershire-icv-scheme/
Copyright 2020 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.