Severn Trent urges households to use water wisely
By David Wood | 15th August 2022
As the drought continues, Severn Trent is asking people to use water wisely as demand increases to some of the highest peaks on record.
The weekend saw temperatures hitting the 30s once again and after the UK saw the driest July since 1911, any thunderstorms this week may be hit or miss.
Severn Trent has said that as a result of preparation work throughout the year to remain resilient and protect water supplies, its network is in a good position, yet with little rain in the forecast, these extreme weather conditions could continue to increase demand.
Sophie Evans-Young, water efficiency manager at Severn Trent, said: "As the glorious summer sunshine continues, there's naturally a greater demand for water so our teams are working around the clock to keep the network in good shape.
"Our region has experienced the driest July in a century and we're asking people to be mindful of their water use, as small behavioural changes can add up to a big difference."
"We'd like to thank all our customers for their continued support as the warm and dry weather continues into the summer."
Severn Trent hasn't had a temporary usage ban in 27 years, and instead is actively managing its Drought Action Plan, doing everything possible to meet demand in this hot weather, whilst caring for the environment.
Severn Trent is pumping an extra hundred million litres of water into the network every day, while the number of tankers in the fleet has been doubled so water can be moved into supply more quickly than ever before. Expert engineers are also fixing around 3,000 leaks a month, which can be caused by pipes bursting as a result of the ground drying up and moving due to the hot weather.
Did you know?
- A leaking loo could increase water usage by 20% - wasting money and water.
- A sprinkler can use as much as 1,000 litres of drinking water in just one hour - which is more water than a family of four would normally use in a whole day!
- 22,500 free water efficiency products have been ordered by Severn customers this summer. If all of these products ordered are fitted and used, we could see a saving of 182,500 litres!
Tips for a water efficient home
- Keep a jug of water in the fridge to enjoy nice cold water when you want it, rather than running the tap until it's cold
- Ask children to water the plants with leftover water from their paddling pool - a fun activity to keep them entertained whilst also saving money and water
- Wait until the dishwasher or washing machine is full before using it
Copyright 2022 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.