Rogue traders target elderly in Cheltenham
By Police reporter | 13th August 2021
Officers in Cheltenham are appealing for information as an elderly gentleman was conned out of money after being targeted by rogue traders last month.
Police attended the Pittville Circus area on Thursday 15 July after an elderly man reported that he had been scammed out of £400 after being persuaded to allow two men to fix his guttering.
The victim was conned out of the money after being told that his guttering needed maintenance work. He thought that the men were legitimate and paid £300 to have the work done but later noticed that it had not been carried out. The men returned and he gave them £100 so they would leave.
The two men were driving in a white Volkswagen van and it has since been found that the number and website they advertised do not work.
Officers are asking anyone who has information on this incident or who was also targeted by the men to please get in contact.
This can be done by competing the following online form and quoting incident 196 of 15 July: https://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/cor/tell-us-about-existing-case-report or by calling 101.
Trading Standards have been made aware of this incident and their advice is to:
• Never agree to have work done or part with money on your doorstep.
• Always get written quotes from at least two traders for any work.
• Always agree a price/payment arrangements along with start and finish dates in writing before any work starts.
• Remember that you don't have to pay in full until you're completely satisfied with the work
• If in any doubt do not accept services and ask the person to leave before calling Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
If you think you have been the victim of fraud then please ring 101 or 999 if the offenders are still in the area.
Additional advice on protecting yourself from becoming a victim of fraud by rogue traders can be found here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/
Copyright 2021 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.