Skip navigation

Gloucestershire Business News

Gloucestershire abuse organisations share £167k

Organisations helping victims of sexual and domestic abuse in Gloucestershire will share a £167,000 windfall after a successful bid for funding by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner.

Lockdown has brought an increase in abuse with Gloucestershire Constabulary reporting a 26 per cent increase in domestic incidents during May, compared to the same period a year ago.

For reports of sexual abuse, the figure rose by 20 per cent.

To help fight the problem and help those affected, the OPCC was granted £167, 432 after bidding for a share of £25million from the Ministry of Justice.

Commissioning manager Kirsten Fruin said: "Life in lockdown has been traumatic for hundreds of families across Gloucestershire who did not have the luxury of being safe while staying at home.

"Sadly, what we are now hearing from our colleagues in the Constabulary about a dramatic increase in the number of people reporting sexual and domestic abuse confirms some of our worst fears.

"This money will now be divided among 10 local organisations and help to ensure victims and survivors get the support they need".

Th organisations receiving a share are Gloucestershire Counselling Service, Gloucestershire Domestic Abuse Support Service, Gloucestershire Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre Hollie Gazzard Trust, Nelson Trust, Splitz, Stroud Beresford, Teens in Crisis, Victim Support and West Mercia Women's Aid.

It is hoped the money will help cover costs incurred by adapting services to the coronavirus pandemic and cope with the increase in demand.

Police and Crime Commissioner Martin Surl said: "An increase in sexual and domestic abuse in the home has been one of the country's main concerns throughout the pandemic and I am sorry it's inevitable that other parts of the country will have missed out.

"I am delighted my team was able to secure such a significant share that will go towards supporting local victims and survivors who have shown the courage to come forward.

"We had no warning the MoJ was about to make this money available and my commissioning team had to react very quickly to prepare a bid."

Related Articles

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The latest news from across Gloucestershire on Wednesday, August 12 Image

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The latest news from across Gloucestershire on Wednesday, August 12

The latest important news and updates from across Gloucestershire as the coronavirus crisis continues.

Spirax-Sarco beats projected performance Image

Spirax-Sarco beats projected performance

Sales and profits fell less than expected for Spirax-Sarco Engineering in the first six months of the year - but it has warned of tough end to 2020.

Gloucestershire unemployed benefits more than double in last year Image

Gloucestershire unemployed benefits more than double in last year

The number of people claiming unemployment-related benefits across Gloucestershire has more than doubled in the last year.

MP questions Police and Crime Commissioner's no-bid decision Image

MP questions Police and Crime Commissioner's no-bid decision

Gloucester MP Richard Graham has repeated his call for details on why Police and Crime Commissioner Martin Surl did not bid for a share of a £25million government fund.

Copyright 2020 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.