Kickstart Scheme: Guide for employers
By Sarah Wood
With unemployment rising among young people, it has never been more important for businesses to help the next generation to succeed.
Could your business create a new six-month job placement for a young person? Gloucestershire College is acting as a Kickstart Scheme intermediary to support employers through the process.
The Kickstart Scheme is a new incentive from the government for 16 to 24 year olds who currently claim Universal Credit and are at serious risk of becoming long-term unemployed. The scheme provides funding for employers to create new six-month work placements for these young people. The government funding will cover 100% of the relevant national minimum wage for 25 hours per week, plus associated employer National Insurance contributions. The young person will receive invaluable, paid work experience and the opportunity to develop their skills.
How does the Kickstart Scheme work?
- Employers need to offer one or more six-month work placements
- Employers who are able to provide 30 or more job placements can apply directly via the government website
- For employers who are providing less than 30 (even one or two placements is still fantastic!), Gloucestershire College is acting as a representative and will apply on your behalf, along with other like-minded businesses
- Simply tell the college how many placements you would like to offer and they will handle the rest
- 100% of the young person's wage will be paid by the government, plus businesses will receive funding towards any start-up costs such as uniform, equipment and training
What are the benefits for employers?
- Discover new talent and develop their skills to support your business
- Provide your current employees with experience in training and mentoring
- Help back local talent and shape the skills and future of young people within Gloucestershire
Why Gloucestershire College?
By acting as an intermediary, Gloucestershire College will not only handle the whole application process for you, but will also provide training and support to the young people joining your business. As part of the scheme, the college is providing all participants with a Kickstart training programme.
Gloucestershire College's unique Kickstart training package will see participants gain personal, social, work and vocational skills to prepare them for employment. This additional training provided by Gloucestershire College combined with the six-month work placement with your organisation will have a lasting, meaningful impact on the young person's future.
On completion of the placement, the college can provide employers and their Kickstart employees with further support and training solutions such as apprenticeships, traineeships, and professional courses to help them into full time employment.
Gloucestershire College is looking for both large and small firms from a range of industries and sectors to offer valuable work placements for young people on the Kickstart Scheme. Register your interest on the college's website.
Copyright 2022 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.