Wild Winter Weekend at Slimbridge
By David Wood
Where: WWT Slimbridge
When: Saturday, January 18 & Sunday, January 19
Be amazed by the winter spectacle of wildlife at Slimbridge with their Wild Winter Weekend, a two-day event packed with conservation talks, workshops and demonstrations, not to mention up to 30,000 wintering birds across the reserve to enjoy!
On both days you can enjoy:
- Guide in Hides will be on hand throughout the weekend to help you identify the winter wildlife in the Zeiss Hide, South Lake Discovery Hide, Peng Observatory, Robbie Garnett Hide and the new Estuary Tower.
- The local group, the Severn Wildlife Carvers, will be displaying their amazing display of birds in the foyer throughout the weekend.
- At 11am head out to meet the geese in Slimbridge's Living Collection with the help of an expert who will give you hints and tips on how to identify them in the wild.
- Step back in time in Scott House Museum with guided tours of WWT's founder, Sir Peter Scott's home at 11am & 1.30pm.
- An exclusive screening of 'Flight of the Swans' at 2pm. Flight of the Swans is about an expedition that connects wildlife, wetlands and people - from the wilderness of the arctic tundra all the way to Slimbridge.
- Decoy Demonstrations will be taking place at 2pm in the newly refurbished Decoy where you can discover how to catch a duck with a dog!
- At 4pm take in the beautiful sights and sounds of thousands of wintering birds on the Rushy Lake having their evening feed and find out more about the Bewick's swans.
On Saturday, January 18, at 12 noon there will be a one-off talk with Kevin Wood from WWT's conservation team on the changing fortunes of the Bewick's swans and on Sunday, January 19, you can learn more about Sir Peter Scott in a talk with Slimbridge 2020 project manager Jackie Harris at 10.30am.
At 12 noon on Sunday, award-winning writer, radio, TV presenter and wildlife photographer Mark Carwardine will be giving an amusing talk offering a behind-the-scenes look at what it has been like to spend the past six years working on the most comprehensive field guide to the world's whales, dolphins and porpoises ever published.
For full details on the weekend's programme and how to book for talks, visit Slimbridge's website.
Copyright 2021 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.