Head to Westonbirt for some half-term fun!
By David Wood
With half-term well and truly underway, it is the perfect opportunity for the whole family to get together for some quality time at Westonbirt, The National Arboretum.
You're practically spoilt for choice, with lots of low-cost, fun activities guaranteed to entertain the whole family.
And with the ongoing cost of living crisis still affecting us all, the good news is you don't need to spend the earth to ensure children have a good time.
To make the most of the late spring weather, here is Westonbirt Arboretum's list of low-cost, family-friendly activities and fun things to do:
- Spring Scent-sations family activity - Taking place to 1st June, 10.30am - 4pm, head to Silk Wood Barn for this family activity to explore the hidden spring scents of leaves, bark, flowers and much more through discovery and play. Also adventure along the spring family activity trail in Silk Wood.
- Find a walking trail - Westonbirt has plenty of walking trails for you and your family to explore. Why not head off on one of the walks led by the expert guides?
- Play in the trees - Get the whole family involved this half-term as you scramble, slide and swing your way around the arboretum! From the Exploratree adventure play zone to natural equipment, the amazing play areas are great for kids and adults alike to burn off some steam.
- Enjoy the Zog trail - Set off on a forest adventure this half term and enjoy an activity trail based on Julia Donaldson's much-loved book, Zog. With lots of fun activities to complete, the trail will encourage your little dragons to learn about the forests and how the forests can care for them!
- Gruffalo sculptures - Enjoy a fun family day out as you search for the characters from Julia Donaldson's classic story, The Gruffalo, dotted around the woodland of the arboretum. Your children will love meeting Mouse, Owl, Fox, Snake and Squirrel as well as the Gruffalo and the Gruffalo's child!
- Plan a pilgrimage - Forestry England are inviting families to enjoy their own personal pilgrimage at a local forest to celebrate the release of the film, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. At Westonbirt, try and find the 2,000-year-old lime tree! Share your families #ForestPilgrimage photo for a chance to win a five-night campervan trip and forest membership.
With adventurous play areas, activity trails, guided walks and beautiful picnic areas, Westonbirt Arboretum offers a fantastic family day out.
Copyright 2023 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.