Takeaway services given an extra year
By Rob Freeman | 12th November 2020
Restaurant, pubs and cafes will be allowed to offer takeaway services without seeking extra permission until March 2022.
Relaxed rules permitting takeaway services without going through the planning process, brought in at the start of the first lockdown, were due to end on March 23, 2021 - a year on from the introduction of coronavirus restrictions.
But the measure, together with rules making it easier for businesses and communities to host markets and stalls, has been extended for at least another year.
Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick said he is keeping changes to rules on outdoor seating licence for dining under review.
He said: "I am extending these simple but effective reforms to support these businesses - helping give them and their employees more certainty over the coming year.
"It will also be a boost for their customers who can now look forward to continuing to enjoy meals at home from their favourite restaurants.
"As these reforms have made such a difference, I will be considering making them permanent."
UKHospitality chief executive Kate Nicholls said takeaway services had provided a valuable lifeline for many venues.
She said: "The extension will undoubtedly help many. For pubs, restaurants and cafes to operate as takeaways gives them a previously untapped revenue stream and a much better chance to survive what will be a tough winter.
"It will help avoid waste and allow businesses to retain a valuable link with the customers and communities."
Copyright 2020 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.