100-plus staff and 59 residents await fate as two care homes face closure
By Andrew Merrell | 6th July 2018
More than 100 staff and 59 residents at two care homes in Gloucestershire will learn their fate on Wednesday (July 18) when a decision is expected to be made on the two businesses.
Members of the county council's cabinet are due to meet to decide the future of the two homes at the request of what is called the Gloucestershire Care Partnership (GCP).
The partnership includes The Orders of St John Care Trust (OSJCT) and the county council itself, which owns the homes - Townsend House in Mitcheldean and Trevone House in Gloucester.
Punchline understands there are 29 residents and 46 staff at Trevone House and 30 residents and 57 staff at Townsend House (as of 20th June).
According to the council both businesses currently run with less than 80 per cent occupancy, which means they are not making enough money to cover costs.
Dan Hayes, chief executive at The Orders of St John Care Trust, said: "Our priority is the wellbeing of our residents and we along with the council will be providing support to all individuals and families affected to ensure a smooth transition to alternative local accommodation if the proposal is supported.
"On the basis that the two homes close all our employees will be offered roles in other OSJCT homes and hence we are not planning for any redundancies.
Cllr Roger Wilson, cabinet member for adult social care commissioning at Gloucestershire County Council, said: "I would like to reassure residents, their families and staff that if the decision is taken to close the homes, we will do all we can to support them.
"We will make sure they understand all of the options that are available to them and are helped through this period of change."
Townsend House and Trevone House date back to the 1960s.
"Since then care in the county has changed significantly with more people choosing to live at home or individuals having more complex needs that the care homes were not designed to cater for.
"These two homes have been significantly impacted by these changes," said a statement from the council.
Cabinet will be asked to approve a twelve-week consultation to give residents, families and employees time to consider and put forward options for onward care.
"In discussions with the council we have been unable to find any alternative options that would make these homes viable.
"GCP has therefore asked that cabinet consider its proposals to close both homes and help residents relocate to existing homes in the local areas that suit their needs," said Mr Hayes.
The report will be presented to cabinet on 18 July 2018.
Picture credit: Imagery ©2018 Google maps, Map data ©2018 Google
Copyright 2018 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.