Skip navigation

Gloucestershire Business News

Rolls-Royce announces 9,000 redundancies

Rolls-Royce is to cut 9,000 jobs as the shockwaves from the coronavirus pandemic's impact on the aviation industry continue to be felt.

The redundancies represent about one fifth of the firm's global workforce but has not said where the cuts will be made.

Chief executive Warren East said: "This is not a crisis of our making. But it is the crisis that we face and we must deal with it.

"Our airline customers and airframe partners are having to adapt and so must we."

He continued: "Being told that there is no longer a job for you is a terrible prospect and it is especially hard when all of us take so much pride in working for Rolls-Royce.

"But we must take difficult decisions to see our business though these unprecedented times"

The job losses, which follow 4,600 in 2018, are expected to save £700million as part of £1.3billion in annual savings.

Justice Secretary Robert Buckland said the Government will look at how it can help Rolls-Royce and others hit by the job losses.

He said: "Clearly we will have to go to work with the employer to look at the options.

"All of us will be looking not just at Rolls-Royce but at the whole sector and the implications of this for the supply chains to make sure we are doing everything we can in terms of plans and actions to support what is a very high skilled part of our economy."

Rolls-Royce employs about 16,000 staff in its civil aerospace unit in the UK, which is likely to be the hardest hit with its defence divisions not included.

The news is the latest in a string of blows which has see flying hours fall by 90 per cent in April as planes were grounded by coronavirus restrictions and airlines shedding jobs - British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Ryanair planning 20,000 redundancies between them.

Earlier this month GE Aviation, which has a factory at Bishop's Cleeve, announced plans to cut about 13,000 jobs.

Related Articles

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The latest news from across Gloucestershire on Thursday, June 4 Image

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The latest news from across Gloucestershire on Thursday, June 4

The latest important news and updates from across Gloucestershire as the coronavirus crisis continues.

Contractor appointed to start West Cheltenham Transport Improvement Scheme Image

Contractor appointed to start West Cheltenham Transport Improvement Scheme

Gloucestershire County Council has appointed the contractors to bring the first half of the West Cheltenham Transport Improvement Scheme to life.

Media company faces legal action by staff Image

Media company faces legal action by staff

Journalists at Reach plc, parent company of gloucestershirelive.co.uk are considering legal action against the company.

Thousands of small companies in danger of going bust Image

Thousands of small companies in danger of going bust

As we enter our 11th week of lockdown, thousands of Gloucestershire’s smallest companies find themselves at risk of going out of business.

Copyright 2020 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.