Skip navigation

Gloucestershire Business News

New housing estate faces demolition

A new housing development in Gloucestershire is facing demolition after planners found two extra houses had been built without planning permission on the site.

Consent had been given for nine new homes in the market town of Newent - but 11 were built.

Next week Forest of Dean District councillors will be asked to approve an enforcement notice giving the developer nine months to "demolish all of the building works and dig out all foundations" and return the site to the way it was before work started.

"It is clear that the development undertaken is fundamentally different when compared with the approved scheme," said a council report.

"As a consequence, it is considered that all of the works undertaken on site are unauthorised requiring further planning permission."

The site is at 9 Culver street, Newent, where developers have made numerous applications to demolish the house there and build on the land.

After objections from local residents who said the scheme would generate too much traffic on a busy road and spoil an historic conservation area, the council refused planning permission. But it was then granted by a Government inspector who overruled the council.

Building work is currently well under way but was halted last month after planners visited the and found the extra two houses.

"The construction of the new additional two dwellings and their very small allocated gardens causes further intensification within the site that are out of character with this part of Newent," said the report which will go before councillors on October 9.

Planners also concerned that the developer has told them he is changing the road layout to accommodate the two new homes and has not consulted highways.

The height of one house has also been significantly increased so it is higher than the next door building and out of character with surrounding buildings, says the report.

At least one of the homes appears narrower than it should be, some of the houses do not have chimneys, rooflights or French doors which are in the original plans and the back garden of one house is smaller than it should be, adds the report.

The developer told officials he intended to apply for planning permission for the two extra homes as a "variation" to the planning permission.

Work has now stopped and the site is fenced off.

The report does not mention the name of the developer and previous applications have been submitted through agents.

Related Articles

Famous Gloucestershire village pub reopens after extensive refurbishment by new owners Image

Famous Gloucestershire village pub reopens after extensive refurbishment by new owners

A pub that was once run by a former England cricket captain and named as one of the top 70 inns in Britain is reopening tonight after a major refurbishment by its new owners.

Gloucester Rugby appoint 'modern day legend' to role of commercial director Image

Gloucester Rugby appoint 'modern day legend' to role of commercial director

A man who has been described as “one of the modern legends to have worn cherry and white” has been appointed as Gloucester Rugby’s new commercial director.
Alex Brown joined Glouce

100 wind turbines proposed for Gloucestershire hills Image

100 wind turbines proposed for Gloucestershire hills

Call it common sense, call it radical, call it provocative, call it marketing, call it (very) political, the businessman behind it will tell you 100 windmills to power Gloucestershire is the way to go.

SoFab Sports able to expand operations thanks to £100,000 investment Image

SoFab Sports able to expand operations thanks to £100,000 investment

A £100,000 investment will help Gloucestershire-based community interest enterprise SoFab Sports expand and help more young adults with physical and learning disabilities.

Copyright 2019 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.