Cotswold District Council announces new cabinet
By David Wood | 25th May 2023
The AGM of Cotswold District Council took place last night (Wednesday) at which the leader and cabinet took office.
Following the recent local elections, the make-up of the council is currently 21 seats for the Liberal Democrats, nine seats for the Conservative Party, two seats for the Green Party and two independent members.
The Liberal Democrats retained control of the council, and the leader of the council remains as Cllr Joe Harris. Cllr Mike Evemy remains the deputy leader.
The cabinet members and their portfolios are as follows:
- Cllr Joe Harris - leader of the council
- Cllr Mike Evemy - deputy leader and cabinet member for finance
- Cllr Lisa Spivey - cabinet member for communities and public safety
- Cllr Mike McKeown - cabinet member for climate change and sustainability
- Cllr Tony Dale - cabinet member for economy and council transformation
- Cllr Juliet Layton - cabinet member for planning and regulatory services
- Cllr Paul Hodgkinson- cabinet member for health, leisure and culture
- Cllr Claire Bloomer - cabinet member for cost of living and inclusion
Cllr Joe Harris, leader of the council, said: "Thank you to everyone who came out and voted in the local elections earlier this month and a huge thank you to the people of the Cotswolds who gave their overwhelming trust and confidence in this administration to continue to lead our district, deliver for them and improve our communities.
"This cabinet brings with them a wealth of knowledge and wide-ranging experience. Together we will build on the work we've done since 2019 and continue to deliver the plans we set out to deliver genuinely affordable homes, playing our part to tackle the climate emergency growth and delivering more jobs.
"From the thousands of conversations we had with residents on their doorsteps, we know that many are concerned with national issues, like the cost of living crisis, which are impacting us locally.
"We will continue to ensure that every pound the council spends works for local people, and that we offer value for money and one of the lowest council tax rates in the South West."
The role of the chair and vice chair were also voted in at the meeting. Cllr Nikki Ind will chair the council over the next 12 months and Cllr Mark Harris will be the vice chair.
Copyright 2023 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.