Hairdressers facing major cuts if restrictions continue
By Rob Freeman | 15th February 2021
More than one in five hairdressers and beauty salons will not reopen if they have to remain closed until May under coronavirus restrictions, according to a new industry report.
A study by the National Hair & Beauty Federation said 11 per cent of businesses were "acutely vulnerable" if closures remain in place until the end of March.
That figure rises by 21 if customers are not allowed to return by the end of April.
The report showed businesses lost an average of £41,000 last year as coronavirus restrictions kept them close for much of the year.
And it said customer levels are predicted to remain down for up to eight months when restrictions are eased due to ongoing social distancing and safety measures.
Full-time employment has already fallen by 21 per cent in the industry since 2019.
According to The Mail on Sunday, the NHBF is calling on Chancellor Rishi Sunak to cut VAT in next month's Budget to avoid further job losses.
Copyright 2021 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.