VIDEO: Gloucestershire businessman continues appeal for Turkey earthquake victims
By Laura Enfield | 24th February 2023
A Gloucestershire fundraising appeal for the Turkey earthquake victims has raised almost £20,000 in two weeks.
Brusk Korkmaz, CEO of Hercules Site Services in Cirencester, launched the campaign after his hometown of Iskenderun was destroyed by the disaster and has urged people to carry on donating.
All his close family escaped the rubble but like thousands of others have been left homeless by the quakes and the job of helping those displaced is only just beginning.
The first two quakes hit on February 6, levelling swathes of southern Turkey and northern Syria and leaving 47,000 dead and hundreds of thousands homeless. The area was rocked by two more on Monday.
Brusk has shared footage of the aftermath showing entire streets destroyed and people living in tents.
He has already distributed a van full of aid and said: "Basically it took seconds for us to distribute because so many people need desperate help here."
He has spent the last week meeting survivors such as Burcu Arli who lost both her parents in the disaster. She was rescued from debris after 34 hours and is recovering in hospital from broken bones and deep tissue damage.
Brusk said: "These are the lucky ones, thousands of people are still under the debris and homeless. It will take years to get back to normality."
Hercules, based in South Cerney, is continuing to raise funds to support the ongoing humanitarian work in the country. Money raised will go to Turkish charity ahbap.org to ensure it helps those most in need.
Brusk said: "I am so grateful that we managed to raise over 10,000 in less than three days. This will go a long way to providing people with shelter, medicine, supplies etc.
"We want to raise as much as we can, so please keep donating and sharing the link."
Copyright 2024 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.