Skip navigation

Gloucestershire Business News

Gloucester tower block to be demolished

The city's skyline is set to change, after plans have been announced to close and demolish the Clapham Court high-rise sheltered housing scheme on Alvin Street in Kingsholm.

Clapham Court. Credit: Google

Built in 1963 and primarily retirement housing, owners Gloucester City Homes said the difficult decision had been made due to spiralling maintenance costs for the 80-flat building.

A statement from the housing provider said: "We understand and recognise that our decision will have a devastating impact on our residents and that Clapham Court is their home with treasured memories. We also know their families will be concerned for their loved ones.

"We are in individual communication with all of the affected residents and will work closely with them and their family members to ensure that suitable future housing is made available to them."

"The decision has been made as the building is over 50 years old and because of its height and concrete construction, it needs regular attention just to maintain it in its present condition.

"Working with specialist advisors, we have looked at the significant and increasing costs needed over the coming years, alongside the future desirability of Clapham Court as accommodation for older residents. These costs are likely to exceed £1 million and have the potential to keep rising."

Anita Pope, director of Housing and Communities added: "We would like to reassure local residents that nothing will happen immediately, and we expect that it will take up to three years before any works might start. All local residents will have an opportunity to comment on any future development when that stage is reached.

"Please be assured that we will continue to provide quality services, maintain the building to its existing high standards and ensure that it continues to meet all health and safety requirements in the meantime."

Related Articles

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The latest news from across Gloucestershire on Friday, September 17 Image

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The latest news from across Gloucestershire on Friday, September 17

The ongoing coronavirus situation is constantly changing with announcements being made about businesses and services.

BREAKING NEWS: Another big name to leave Gloucester Quays Image

BREAKING NEWS: Another big name to leave Gloucester Quays

Sports brand Nike has confirmed plans to close its Factory Store at Gloucester Quays as early as next month.

VIDEO: Second helping of Gloucester's £3.5m Food Dock development Image

VIDEO: Second helping of Gloucester's £3.5m Food Dock development

Last week www.Punchline-Gloucester.com reported that building works were progressing on Gloucester's latest culinary destination and now we return for an extended tour.

Retail sales down for fourth month Image

Retail sales down for fourth month

Retail sales fell for the fourth month in a row after a gloomy summer for sales.

Copyright 2021 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.