City's £12m shopping centre regeneration will start in the New Year
By Bev Hawes | 5th December 2018
Gloucester planners have given the go-ahead for the £12 million transformation of the city's shopping centre, King's Walk Gloucester.
Work to create a vibrant, connected retail destination with improved parking and public facilities will now start early in the New Year after unanimous approval by Gloucester city councillors.
Reef Group are leading the development which will regenerate a major retail area of Gloucester city centre.
Gloucester City Council leader Cllr Paul James said: "People can see that the bold and ambitious plans we have set for this part of the city are turning into reality. This is testament to the confidence partners have shown in our shared vision.
"Our decision to approve the plans for King's Walk and move forward with important work at King's Square will see the area transformed in a way that attracts investment and brings visitors and increased vitality to our city.
"I know people in Gloucester want these improvements and welcome this latest step along the road to enable them to happen."
Improvements to King's Walk shopping centre will include:
• Remodelled shop fronts and building facades along Eastgate Street, King's Walk and King's Square.
• A new atrium roof to King's Walk.
• Bold new shop fronts along the entrance to Clarence Street.
• Removing the redundant footbridge crossing Eastgate Street and improved shop fronts on either side of this structure. A new entrance will be provided where Eastgate Street joins King's Walk.
• Improved car parking and new public toilets on the first floor of the centre at King's Walk.
Stewart Deering, chief executive at Reef Group, said: "These improvements will bring huge benefits to Gloucester by creating a vibrant, modern destination for people to visit and spend quality time.
"This is an important part of wider plans to regenerate King's Quarter, which have been extensively consulted on in recent months.
"People are excited by the plans for King's Quarter and we share this view. We're looking forward to starting work on this phase of the project."
Copyright 2018 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.