Skip navigation

Gloucestershire Business News

Cheltenham company backs National Star student

A Cheltenham business is backing a National Star student's campaign to improve accessibility for people with disabilities.

Sam Vestey, who attends National Star in Cheltenham, is campaigning to make the familiar disabled sign more inclusive for people with non-visible disabilities.

The 20-year-old believes the wheelchair icon featured on blue badges and disabled parking bays is outdated.

Now Typecraft, based in Longhill, Cheltenham, has supported Sam's campaign by printing stickers featuring the new more inclusive logo.

Sam Vestey said: "I really appreciate Matt and the team at Typecraft backing my campaign. It means a great deal to me. We have already started to share them with other specialist colleges across the country and Typecraft's support will help the campaign grow."

The logo shows two able bodied people with a third person in a wheelchair and the wording: Some disabilities are visible. Some are not. Take care of each other.

Sam who has a chromosomal condition called DiGeorge Syndrome and survived a pineoblastoma brain tumour as a child, said: "Only 7% of disabled people use a wheelchair. The existing blue badge logo isn't relevant for the other 93% of people with disabilities. It's time for a change."

Sam says he and his family have often been challenged when using disabled parking spaces and he doesn't want others to have to go through similar experiences.

"Just because people can't see my disability, they don't understand how much pain I am in and how fatigued I get. That's why I have a disabled badge."

Matt Magovern, sales and production director at Typecraft, said: "When approached by Sam from National Star, who is clearly extremely passionate about his campaign, it really was a no brainer for Typecraft to offer our services to assist.

"We are always striving to move with the times as a business and this is something that Sam is also looking to do, but within a far more important realm. We wish him the best of luck with his endeavours and are pleased to be involved and help out."

Related Articles

HMRC issues £3.2 million in money laundering penalties Image

HMRC issues £3.2 million in money laundering penalties

A Gloucester firm is among hundreds of businesses fined a total of £3.2 million for breaching anti-money laundering rules.

Versarien revenues fall while losses rise Image

Versarien revenues fall while losses rise

Gloucestershire-based advanced engineering materials group Versarien is looking to bounce back after a "challenging" period.

Plan to support 100,000 jobs launched at national net zero conference  Image

Plan to support 100,000 jobs launched at national net zero conference

A new plan for how South Wales and Western England could make the UK a global leader in net zero energy has been unveiled at a national conference.

Partners line up for 'Inspiring the Forest' event Image

Partners line up for 'Inspiring the Forest' event

A ground-breaking initiative to raise young people’s aspirations in the Forest of Dean is being launched by the Forest Economic Partnership (FEP) later this month.

Copyright 2023 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.