CBI boss sacked over misconduct claims
By Sarah Wood | 11th April 2023
The director general of the CBI, one of the UK's largest business groups has been sacked over complaints about his behaviour at work.
Tony Danker has left the CBI with immediate effect, following an investigation over his conduct towards a female employee.
Three other CBI employees have also been suspended pending further investigation into ongoing allegations. The business group said it will co-operate fully with police investigations.
The allegations mean the CBI, which represents the interests of 190,000 UK businesses, is facing its biggest crisis since it was founded in 1965.
A statement from the board of the CBI, released this morning (April 11), said: "The allegations that have been made over recent weeks about the CBI have been devastating. While investigations continue into a number of these, it is already clear to all of us that there have been serious failings in how we have acted as an organisation. We must do better, and we must be better.
"We apologise to the victims of this organisational failure, including those impacted by the revulsion we have all felt at hearing their stories. Nobody should feel unsafe in their workplace.
"We wish to thank all those who have had the courage to speak out, through internal or external channels, and encourage them to keep doing so.
"The CBI exists to help British business flourish. This is a privilege and responsibility which we take extremely seriously and cannot take for granted. We represent our members not just in how we advocate for them, but also through our values as an organisation. It means we must be a place where colleagues are safe, valued and respected, and where there is zero tolerance for behaviour that falls short of those expectations."
Mr Danker stepped aside last month, after the CBI began to look into complaints about him.
From his tweets this morning, it would appear he was unprepared for his dismissal.
He tweeted: "I recognise the intense publicity the CBI has suffered following the revelations of awful events that occurred before my time in office. I was appalled to learn about them for the first time last week.
"I was nevertheless shocked to learn this morning that I had been dismissed from the CBI, instead of being invited to put my position forward as was originally confirmed. "Many of the allegations against me have been distorted, but I recognise that I unintentionally made a number of colleagues feel uncomfortable and I am truly sorry about that. I want to wish my former CBI colleagues every success."
Last week, The Guardian reported sexual misconduct claims against CBI employees, including an allegation of rape at a party in 2019.
Many of the most serious allegations predate Mr Danker's time as director general.
Mr Danker has been replaced as director general by Rain Newton-Smith, former CBI chief economist and currently managing director, strategy and policy, sustainability and ESG for Barclays
Copyright 2023 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.