Businesses call for role in drawing recovery roadmap
By Rob Freeman | 1st February 2021
The Government has been urged to work with businesses to map the best route out of lockdown.
The CBI is consulting with members on the best way to reopen the economy with the Government due to start revealing details of an exit strategy at the end of this month.
In a letter to business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng MP, CBI director-general Tony Danker said: "With health teams rightly in crisis management mode, we in business along with the economic ministries can use this time to plan for a successful re-opening of the economy when the moment is right to do so."
The letter said there must be clear parameters how long support measures remain in place and how they are removed on a tapering basis.
The CBI outlined six major elements to help business plan:
- Confirming what will be considered low, medium or high-risk economic activity so businesses can understand what will open sooner or later.
- Deciding whether there will be a return to tiering as part of a gradual reopening and what will be permitted under each tier as more people become vaccinated.
- Identifying and understanding the conditions that need to be met before rolling back certain restrictions.
- Outlining how the vaccine will be deployed once the most vulnerable groups are inoculated.
- Thinking how regular mass rapid testing in the community and workplaces could allow a wider, speedier reopening of the economy.
- Creating bespoke, detailed plans for the harder to open sectors of the economy such as testing regimes for international travel or the conditions for activities such as hospitality and live events.
Mr Danker said: "There is huge appetite among businesses to help the Government create and deliver a roadmap out of lockdown that lasts, has national consensus and kickstarts our economic recovery as 2021 unfolds.
"Businesses are currently completely in the dark when planning for the weeks and months ahead and this is hindering investment.
"We can provide more clarity and do the prep work now to enable them to plan for reopening and growth."
The CBI will also be writing to the devolved nations' governments.
Copyright 2021 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.