Skip navigation

Gloucestershire Business News

Brockworth man allegedly conned elderly and vulnerable in care home

A 39-year-old Brockworth man who allegedly got into a care home and conned money out of elderly and vulnerable residents has appeared in court accused of nine burglary and fraud offences.

Philip Cutler of Vicarage Court, Brockworth, is accused of going into St Catherine's Court in Wheatstone road, Gloucester, on April 6th and again the following day.

At Cheltenham Magistrates' Court yesterday prosecutor Cathy Thornton alleged that Mr Cutler, wearing a high vis jacket, knocked on the doors of several residents on April 6th and re-entered the home the next day but was seen and asked to leave.

It is said that three residents handed over money to home during the first incident but others turned him away empty handed.

Cutler is also alleged to have committed a 'fraud by false representation' on April 16 by knocking on a door in London Road, Gloucester and asking the home owner to make a donation to charity.

He is also alleged that he attempted to use a retail security identity card on April 19, which was in his own name, but had been doctored so that it looked as if it was still valid to commit fraud.

Cutler was arrested on Monday of this week, April 20, by police investigating a number of distraction thefts in the city.

He appeared before the magistrates court yesterday by video link from Gloucestershire Police's custody unit and faced three charges of residential burglary and three of attempted burglary on April 6; one attempted burglary on April 7; fraud by false representation in London Road, Gloucester on April 16 and possession of a false identity with the objective of committing fraud on April 19.

Lloyd Jenkins, defending, submitted, however, that the charges did not properly reflect the prosecution summary of the offences allegedly committed.

"As far as I can deduce from the case summary there are six charges with a total of £14 being handed over to the defendant, who is said to have stated that he was a charity worker," Mr Jenkins said.

District Judge Joti Bopa Rai agreed that until the charges are 'ironed out properly' Mr Cutler could not be expected enter pleas.

"The Crown Prosecution Service needs to re-examine the evidence and charge accordingly," she ruled.

She refused a prosecution application for him to be remanded in custody and granted him conditional bail until June 9th.

His bail conditions prohibit him from visiting any residential care home in Gloucestershire or entering London Road, Gloucester.

Related Articles

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The latest news from across Gloucestershire on Friday, June 5 Image

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The latest news from across Gloucestershire on Friday, June 5

The latest important news and updates from across Gloucestershire as the coronavirus crisis continues.

COVID-19 testing centre opens in Gloucester Image

COVID-19 testing centre opens in Gloucester

The first tests have taken place at Gloucester's new regional COVID-19 testing centre.

Firm with Cinderford recycling facility tops list of £16.2billion bailouts Image

Firm with Cinderford recycling facility tops list of £16.2billion bailouts

Chemicals company BASF, which has a site in Cinderford, has been handed the maximum possible £1billion in help from the Bank of England.

Cirencester tech firm secures contract with NHS Trust Image

Cirencester tech firm secures contract with NHS Trust

The Cirencester based healthcare technology company has secured a contract to launch its digital pre-operative assessment software.

Copyright 2020 Moose Partnership Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any content is strictly forbidden without prior permission.